- 30.3MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- UHD 4K30 Video; C-Log & 10-Bit HDMI Out
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF, 5655 AF Points
- 3.69m-Dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
- 3.15" 2.1m-Dot Swivel Touchscreen LCD
- Expanded ISO 50-102400, 8 fps Shooting
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, SD UHS-II Card Slot
- Multi-Function Bar, Dual Pixel RAW
The first step in Canon's mirrorless evolution, the EOS R pairs a redeveloped lens mount and updated full-frame image sensor for a unique and sophisticated multimedia camera system. Revolving around the new RF lens mount, the EOS R is poised to be the means from which to make the most of a new series of lenses and optical technologies.
Focusing on the camera itself, the EOS R features a high-resolution 30.3MP full-frame CMOS sensor along with a DIGIC 8 image processor. The combination of these technologies offers a wide sensitivity range up to a native ISO 40000, fast continuous shooting to 8 fps, and UHD 4K30 video recording. In addition to imaging, the sensor also facilitates an advanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF system, which uses 5655 selectable points for quickly and accurately acquiring focus. This focusing system is also sensitive down to EV -6 for working in impressively dark conditions. The AF system is also perfectly matched to the UHD 4K video recording capabilities, which are also rounded out by Movie Digital IS to minimize camera shake, built-in Canon Log gamma for a greater dynamic range, and 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 output over HDMI for even greater color control.
Beyond the performance attributes, this camera has been designed from the ground up and features a high-resolution 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder for clear and bright eye-level viewing. Conversely, a rear 3.15" 2.1m-dot LCD touchscreen is also featured, and has a swivel design to suit working from high and low angles. Also catering to the tactile cravings is a Multi-Function bar, which is customizable for intuitively adjusting shooting settings. And as a camera built to withstand the toughest environments, the magnesium alloy body is dust and moisture-sealed.
Canon RF Lens Mount
30.3MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image Processor
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
UHD 4K Video Recording and Canon Log Gamma
Integrated Canon Log also allows users to capture flat images with an improved dynamic range of 800%, or 12 stops. This function makes it easier to match cameras in post-production as well as provides the most latitude and potential for color grading. For monitoring, a View Assist function is available, which emulates a graded look for more accurate viewing on the camera's LCD.
Audio can be recorded using the on-board stereo microphone or an optional external mic can also be used via the 3.5mm mic jack.
Dual Pixel RAW
- Integrated 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder has 0.71x magnification and affords a bright and clear means for eye-level viewing.
- Rear 3.15" 2.1m-dot LCD features a swivel design for easier use when working from high, low, and front-facing angles. It is also a touchscreen for intuitive control over shooting, playback, and menu navigation controls.
- Customizable Multi-Function Bar is located near the viewfinder on the rear of the camera, and can be set to control four functions using right, left, slide, and press movements. It can be used to adjust ISO or white balance, to check focus/display focus info or AF modes, change to movie shooting modes, use flexible-priority AE, or be customized for other functions.
- Top panel incorporates a dot-matrix LCD, which provides quick access to important camera settings.
- One SD memory card slot featured, and supports the UHS-II protocol for faster read and write speeds to better support 4K video recording and fast continuous shooting.
- Magnesium alloy body design is lightweight, durable, and features dust- and water-resistant seals for use in a variety of weather conditions.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity enable wireless sharing, control, and image transfer with a compatible smart device via the Canon Camera Connect app, which also supports geotagging your files using your mobile device's location data.
- Included LP-E6N rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 430 shots per charge, and in-camera charging is supported via the PD-E1 USB Power Adapter. This camera is also compatible with the LP-E6 battery, however is not supported for in-camera charging.
Other Camera Features
- Digital Lens Optimizer helps to minimize the appearance of various optical aberrations in-camera, including diffraction, for cleaner image quality.
- Multi shot noise reduction technology records four sequential exposures and then combines them in-camera to produce an image with smoother tones and lower noise to suit long exposure images.
- Images can be saved as Compact Raw (C-RAW / .CR3) files, which offer smaller file sizes for faster post-processing.
- Language Support: English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Ukraine, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Vietnamese, Hindi, Romanian, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Malay, Indonesian, and Japanese.
|Lens Mount||Canon RF|
|Sensor Resolution||Actual: 31.7 Megapixel
Effective: 30.3 Megapixel (6720 x 4480)
|Sensor Type||36 x 24 mm (Full-Frame) CMOS|
|Image Stabilization||Digital (Video Only)|
|Built-In ND Filter||None|
|Capture Type||Stills & Video|
|Shutter Type||Electronic Shutter|
|Shutter Speed||Electronic Front Curtain Shutter
1/8000 to 30 Seconds
|Bulb/Time Mode||Bulb Mode|
100 to 40,000 in Auto Mode (Extended: 50 to 102,400)
100 to 25,600 (Extended: 100 to 102,400)
|Metering Method||Center-Weighted Average, Evaluative, Partial|
|Exposure Modes||Aperture Priority, Manual, Shutter Priority|
|Exposure Compensation||-3 to +3 EV (1/3, 1/2 EV Steps)|
|Metering Range||-3 to 20 EV|
|White Balance||Presets: Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature, Custom, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (White), Shade, Tungsten|
|Continuous Shooting||Up to 8 fps at 30.3 MP for up to 47 Frames (Raw) / 100 Frames (JPEG)
Up to 3 fps at 30.3 MP for up to 47 Frames (Raw) / 100 Frames (JPEG)
Up to 2.2 fps at 30.3 MP for up to 47 Frames (Raw) / 100 Frames (JPEG)
Still Image Capture
|Image Sizes||3:2 Raw
6720 x 4480
5952 x 4480
6720 x 3776
4480 x 4480
3:2 DCF / EXIF / JPEG
6720 x 4480
4464 x 2976
3360 x 2240
2400 x 1600
4:3 DCF / EXIF / JPEG
5952 x 4480
3968 x 2976
2976 x 2240
2112 x 1600
16:9 DCF / EXIF / JPEG
6720 x 3776
4464 x 2412
3360 x 1888
2400 x 1344
1:1 DCF / EXIF / JPEG
4480 x 4480
2976 x 2976
2240 x 2240
1600 x 1600
|Aspect Ratio||1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9|
|Image File Format||JPEG, Raw|
|Internal Recording Modes||H.264/MP4
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.98/24.00/25/29.97 fps
1920 x 1080p at 23.98/24.00/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps
1280 x 720 at 25/29.97/50/59.94/100/119.88 fps
|External Recording Modes||4:2:2 10-Bit via HDMI
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160)
|Recording Limit||Up to 30 Minutes|
|Built-In Microphone Type||Stereo|
|Audio Recording||AAC Audio
2-Channel LPCM Audio
|Media/Memory Card Slot||Single Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II)|
|Video I/O||1 x Mini-HDMI Output|
|Audio I/O||1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm TRS Stereo Headphone Output
1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm TRS Stereo Microphone Input
|Power I/O||1 x USB-C Input/Output|
|Other I/O||1 x USB-C (USB 3.2 / 3.1 Gen 1) Data Input/Output (Shared with Power Input)
1 x Canon E3 (2.5 mm Sub-Mini) Input
|Global Positioning (GPS, GLONASS, etc.)||None|
|Display Type||Articulating Touchscreen LCD|
|Secondary Display||Top: Status Display|
|Eye Point||23 mm|
|Diopter Adjustment||-4 to +2|
|Focus Type||Auto and Manual Focus|
|Focus Mode||Continuous-Servo AF, Manual Focus, Single-Servo AF|
|Autofocus Points||Phase Detection: 5655|
|Autofocus Sensitivity||-6 to +18 EV|
|Flash Modes||Flash On, Slow Sync|
|Flash Compensation||-3 to +3 EV (1/3, 1/2 EV Steps)|
|Dedicated Flash System||eTTL|
|External Flash Connection||Hot Shoe|
|Operating Temperature||32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C|
|Operating Humidity||0 to 85%|
|Battery Type||1 x LP-E6N Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.2 VDC, 1865 mAh|
|Tripod Mounting Thread||1 x 1/4"-20 Female (Bottom)|
|Accessory Mount||1 x Hot Shoe Mount|
|Material of Construction||Magnesium Alloy, Polycarbonate|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||5.3 x 3.9 x 3.3" / 135.8 x 98.3 x 84.4 mm|
|Weight||1.45 lb / 660 g (With Battery, Recording Media)|
|Package Weight||3.325 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||11 x 9.4 x 5.9"|